Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Bean and Tomato Casserole

This recipe my dears is everything a dinner main course should be--convenient, delicious, fast, easy, healthy, versatile, and cheap. I put it in the oven on delay start and time bake while Pippi and Bardo and I played in the pool. When we arrived home the kitchen smelled like chili and the kids were READY to eat. I popped Jiffy muffins to go along with it to cook while I showered, and "voila!" dinner was ready the moment I was ready. This time, I used black beans and white beans. Next time I think I'll chop some greens into it. I found this Recipe on pg 512 of How to Cook Everything by Mark Bitman.

1 Tablespoon chili powder (I halved the reciped and still used a whole tablespoon)
6 cups drained cooked or canned beans, any type or a mixture
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons minced frash savory, marjoram, or oregano leaves or about 20 fresh basil leaves, torn (I used the basil.)
4 medium-large tomatoes, sliced
2 large onions, sliced
1 cup grated Jack or Cheddar cheese

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahreinheit. Stir the chili powder into the beans; taste and add more if you like.

Step 2 : In a baking dish or casserole, place a layer of beans; Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with a little of the herb. Add a layer of tomatoes, one of onions, and a sprinkling of cheese. Repeat until all the ingredients are used up, finishing with a fairly thick layer of cheese.

Step 3: Bake until the casserole is hot and the cheese melted and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.

5 comments:

Prudence said...

This looks really good. I'm glad you posted! I'll definitely try it.

The Silly Witch said...

Whatever you do, DON't leave out the herbs! I made that mistake yesterday, and while it was tolerable, it wasn't nearly as delicious.

evelania said...

I just found your blog through Nancy's. I'm wondering what ingredient is in step 1. It just says one tablespoon... Thanks!

Unknown said...

Yikes! The red background really irritates my eyes!

Unknown said...

Never mind. I spoke too soon. After I waited a minute the red behind the writing went away.