Saturday, November 6, 2010

Blueberry Corn Pancakes

This recipe is awesome. MY friend has been trying new recipes and this recipe is from a cookbook call Veganomican. I'm definitely getting the book. I think the recipe calls for too much liquid. I reduced the milk to just 1 cup.

3/4 cup all purpose flour (I use whole wheat)
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil (I used coconut oil and not that much. I used 2 tablespoons and tripled the recipe.)
1 1/4 cup soy milk
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (I used lemon extract because I didn't have lemon zest at the moment and it worked well.)
1 cup fresh blueberries
cooking spray or a little oil for greasing the pan

Preheat a large non-stick pan on medium high heat.
Sift together flour, cornmeal, bakig powder and salt. In a separate bowl, combine all other ingredients. Add wet to dry, mix until just combined, then fold in the blueberries. Do not over mix or pancakes will be tough.
Spray pan with cooking spray. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup or an ice cream scoop to pour ot batter into pan. Cook pancakes until brown on bottom and bubbles form on top, about 4 minutes. Flip pancakes over with a thin spatula and cook until bottoms are brown and pancakes are barely firm to touch. Transfer to plates. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil to the pan as needed.

3 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

I just reserved that cook book at the library.

The Silly Witch said...

Okay, so these didn't turn out for me. It was a disappointment. But i do have another, much simpler for the same thing that was fabulous, just in my Bendtech cookbook.

MT Missy said...

Mmmm they totally turned out for me! I used my mini coffee grinder to grind popcorn for the corn meal and it was delicious. At first it seemed to runny, but I just had to give them time to rise over the heat, I still only used a cup of soymilk like Prudence, though.