Sunday, July 20, 2008

Curry Cauliflower Soup

Can you believe that here in Japan it is still not too hot to eat soup? Well, this one is healthy . . . but surprisingly good. My friend made it up mostly and then I made some adjustments. Sorry if this recipe doesn't make much sense, but here it goes . . .

One bag celery hearts
6 small zucchini
2 gigantic onions
1 head (is that what you call it?) of garlic
cashews (optional)
coconut milk (optional)

Combine these veggies in a little olive oil and bake around 350-400 degrees for 45 minutes or until soft when pierced with a fork. When done roasting put in a blender and blend until creamy. Add some chicken stock to help with the creamy consistency. At this point you can add cashews for some creaminess and blend them in or a can of coconut milk. My friend added a whole can. I only added 1/2 a cup. Another friend added cashews. Set mixture aside.

A little olive oil
1 TBSP curry
1 TBSP cumin
1 tsp red pepper flakes (or less)
1 tsp chipotle pepper
1 tsp paprika
salt and pepper
2 bunches kale, mustard greens, collards green or combination
1 head of cauliflower
1 large sweet potato
1 box chicken broth or more

Combine spices and oil in a pan. Mix together. Add veggies except greens and then a little water to steam the veggies until tender. When tender add broth, reserved pureed veggies and greens. Heat through until greens are cooked.

This recipe is really good, however don't put too many red pepper flakes in it. I think I seriously over seasoned mine with that. Also, it tasted good with some toasted coconut on top. Enjoy!

5 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

Oh how I LOVE soup ANYTIME of year. I'm going to try this.

Unknown said...

me too! I think garlic is a gloves, so a whole clump of cloves must be a head??

Unknown said...

oh maybe it's a bulb?

Prudence said...

I think bulb might be right? I'll have to look it up. . . .

MT Missy said...

I found out at this website:
http://homecooking.about.com/cs/foodfactsheets/p/garlic_pro.htm

Here's what it said: "Garlic is a cousin to onions, leeks, chives, and shallots. A bulb or head of garlic is composed of smaller cloves. It is a root vegetable, with the bulb growing underground." So it's both!