Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Lower-fat deep chocolate Bundt Cake

This recipe is from my friend. These are her alterations and directions for this cake. I'm going to try it for my hubby's birthday.


1 3/4 cup soy milk (in the original this was brewed coffee, I used the milk)
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup applesauce
1/2-3/4 jar of black cherry jam
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup date or palm sugar (original recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Between the jam, maple syrup, and "healthier sugar" I feel that was covered. You could also use sweetened soy milk.)
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract (I would use less, as this is a pretty strong flavor, or leave it out all together if you don't like that flavor)
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Frozen cherries, 1 bag


The cherries was my addition to add moisture and sweetener with the jam. If the commissary does not have frozen cherries, try a different fruit flavor. Raspberry or strawberry? Raspberries are tarter, though. For Julie's shower, the cake was drier. I used a little less soy milk because i was adding moisture with the jam, maple syrup, and frozen cherries, so I thought I should cut back on the milk. When I made it for my birthday, I  used the full amount of milk and a whole bag of cherries and the cake was significantly moister. So, you can decide how you might like it and adjust accordingly.


Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly grease an 8 or 10 inch bundt pan. Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat stirring so it does not burn. Just before it reaches boiling, turn off heat and whisk in the cocoa. Then mix in the jam and maple syrup. Set aside and allow to cool a little.


In a mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, oil, applesauce and cornstarch until the sugar and cornstarch are dissolved, about 2 minutes. (I could never tell if they actually dissolved, I just mixed it well).Mix in the vanilla and almond extract. Add the soy milk mixture from the stove.


Sift in the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Beat until relatively smooth. Add frozen cherries and mix in. Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake for 45 minutes (or a little less if you want it moister) until toothpick inserted through its center comes out clean. If your pan is on the smaller side it could take longer. Remove from oven and let cool for about 20 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate to cool completely.


Another variation I thought of instead of baking fruit into it, is to make a fruit topping to serve with it. Like if you did strawberries, use jam in the cake, but then serve it with fresh cut up strawberries instead of baking frozen ones into it. Sorry, a lot of experimentation when you have to adapt these vegan, yet not so healthy recipes.

No comments: