Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Vanilla-Yogurt Pound Cake

Another one from my friend  . . . . . . . We had this on Easter. It was amazing!



1/2 cup vanilla soy yogurt
1/2 cup blended silken tofu (blend first, then measure)
3/4 cup vanilla or plain soy milk 
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract or grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp orange extract or grated orange zest
2 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

For the sugar I put in a little less (1 cup) and I used date sugar. For the oil, I used half oil and half applesauce. For the flour I used whole wheat pastry flour. I didn't have arrowroot powder, so I did some combination of cornstarch and additional flour. To make those two bunnies, I  1 1/2 the recipe. So, this will make a little less. 

Preheat oven to 325. Lightly grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan. A metal pan with dark finish is best. 
In a large bowl combine soy yogurt, blended tofu, soy milk, sugar, oil, and extracts. Use an electric mixer to beat until smooth, about 2 min.
Sift in the flour, arrowroot, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir with a rubber spatula to combine, then beat with mixer for 1.5-2 minutes until a very thick batter forms. Don't overmix
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake 60-65 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (a little moisture is ok). Don't open the oven to peek for at least the first 45 minutes of baking. (my bunnies only took about 45min to bake because they were thinner).
Cookbook tip: This cake has a very thick batter and requires a well-preheated oven at just the right temp to rise properly. Allow oven to heat for at least 20 minutes.

1 comment:

The Silly Witch said...

Yum. I want to try this.