Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bean and Kale Scramble

I cooked this one up for my husband the other night. When he came home from work and saw what we were having he was very hesitant. However, after he ate it all he said how he was pleasantly surprised by the dish.  So, if you are adventurous and willing to give kale a chance, this is a great dish to try.
 
 
Serves 3
 
Ingredients:
8 cups kale (about 2 bunches), chopped
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (I don't like them, so I used 1 fresh tomato, I could have used more)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic
water, as needed
1 T. no salt soup base or seasoning
1 cup canned, beans, no salt, any type, reserving liquid
1 1/2 T. of a sweet vinegar like raisin (I used red wine vinegar since that was all I had)
1 T. Dijon mustard
red pepper flakes, to taste
pasta sauce, as desired
1/4 cup any type of nut, chopped
 
In a large skillet, water saute the kale, tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, and garlic in a little water over medium heat for 5 minutes, adding water as needed so it doesn't scorch.  Add bean liquid, soup base, and enough water to keep from scorching.  Cover and steam for 10 minutes.  Add the beans, vinegar, mustard and res pepper flakes, then cook for 3 more minutes or until mushrooms are tender and liquid cooks out.
 
You can also top with some pasta sauce and a sprinkling of nuts. I used pecans. I will definitely make this meal again.
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yea! Finally a recipe with kale. I am going to have to try it!