Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Kale Potato Soup

I was pleasantly surprised with this soup. My oldest daughter ate 2 bowls and my 1 year old was even eating the kale. Give it a try!
 
1 large onion
1 clove garlic
2 big potatoes
1 large bunch kale
5 cups stock or hot water (stock tastes better)
1- 15 oz. can Great Northern Beans (drained and rinsed)
pepper to taste
 
Water saute onion, cooking and stirring until clear and slightly golden. About halfway, add the whole peeled garlic; when the onion is done crush the garlic with a fork. Add the potatoes and 2 cups of water.  Simmer, covered, until potatoes start to soften around the edges.  Meantime, wash the kale, remove stems, chop, and steam. (Don't try to cook it with the potatoes;  the flavor will be too strong. Really.) I would recommend chopping the kale pretty small. When the potatoes are very well done, puree half of them with remaining water and the pepper.  Combine all the ingredients and heat gently, correcting the consistency if necessary by adding hot water or milk. Makes about 6 cups and serves 4 if no extra water is added.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm. Maybe I will plant kale again in my garden. Last year, I just ended up letting it all go to seen and pulling it up because I didn't have recipes for it.

Unknown said...

Finally! You know I have been curious on how to cook kale.

The Silly Witch said...

I've got to try this. I want to like kale. I really do. It's so healthy.

Prudence said...

I've been trying to like kale too. I think it is close to the healthiest food on the planet. Kenyan elite runners eat as well! The trick to kale is taking the leaves off the stem. You can also finely chop it and add it to any soup or add into a green salad and mix it in so nobody else notices!

Prudence said...

Here is a variation on the soup . . .

Use half of the kale and replace the rest with brocolli. My friends thought it was a lot of kale (which it is, but I like it). This one might be more family friendly if you add the brocolli!