Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Twice-cooked Refried Beans

At the suggestion of my friend, Sheralie, I decide to make my own refried beans.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they are super easy and much much much tastier, and healthier then Old Elpaso Refried Beans from Costco.  I use refried beans at least once each week.  I add them as a layer in quesadillas for my nine-year-olds lunch.  After making this unscientific recipe, I think I'll make them even more because they make an excellent side dish or chip dip.

Ingredients:
Pinto Beans, 1 regular grocery-store sized bag
Water
Bay Leaves
Vegetable Broth, Butter, Coconut Oil, Corn Oil, or Canola Oil
One gigantic onion (softball sized), chopped
Salt, to taste

Pour pinto beans into the crock pot and soak overnight.  In the morning, dump the soak water, and put new water back in so that the water level is at least 1.5 inches over the beans.  Add Bay Leaves (I used 8). Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours, or so.

After the beans are cooked to nice and mushy, put your oil/broth of choice in a big sauce pot, along with your gigantic onion and cook until soft.  Add cumin to taste, around 2 tablespoons.  Using a slotted spoon, move your mushy beans into the pot with the onions.  Stir like crazy.  You may need to mash, but I didn't, stirring blended the beans to the perfect creamy texture.  Add salt, to taste.  Yum!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've always wanted to know how to make refried beans.