Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Granola

18 C grains
1 C sesame/sunflower seeds
2-3 C chopped nuts
2 C sucanat/pure cane sugar

1 C oil
1 1/2 C honey
2 tsp vanilla

Raisins, craisins, chocolate chips, and anything else you like in granola.

Mix together the grains, seeds, and chopped nuts. Mix the oil, honey, and vanilla. Heat until runny. Pour liquid over the grain mixture and mix together well, then add the sucanat. Spread granola two large cake pans and bake in the oven for 18 min. Stir granola, then (if not using a convection oven) place the pan that was on the bottom, on the top, and vice versa and bake for another 18 min.

This was my first time making granola. Mom gave me good instructions and it turned out really well. With the grains, make sure to use types that are rolled: oatmeal, Montana Wheat's seven grains, barley, etc. Also, it makes A LOT, I halfed my recipe and I have enough for breakfast everyday for a couple of weeks. Another delightful discovery: I came across chopped hazelnuts in the grocery store, so I decided to use them in my granola and it was so good (plus it made the house smell really yummy). I also included chocolate chips and craisins in my granola. It really didn't take much to have a super delicious mix!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree! This granola recipe is super yummy!

Unknown said...

Hmmm. This recipe looks familiar....