Thursday, January 17, 2008

Healthier Cookie Recipes

Can you really call a cookie healthy? Here are two recipes that are a little bit healthier. I thought they were good.

Magic Chocolate Chip Cookies, Four Ways

2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds, optional
1 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons safflower oil
Additional ingredients
-1 1/2 -2 cups chocolate chips and 1/2 cup walnuts
-chocolate chip and raisins
-chocolate chip-trail mix
-chocolate chip and granola

Mix Dry ingredients and then add wet ingredients. Stir in additional ingredients. Bake in preheated over at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or so. Let stand 1-2 minutes.

I flattened the cookies before I cooked them and watch the over because I over cooked the first batch.

Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies with Carrots or Apple

1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats (I used regular)
2 tablespoons wheat germ or ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons safflower oil
1/4 cup firmly packed, finely grated carrot, or 1/2 cup peeled and finely diced apple
1 cup raisins
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Use same directions as above for baking.

Enjoy!

-The Vegetarian Family Cookbook

5 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

Wow! These are healthy. NO BUTTER!

Unknown said...

The chocolate chip cookie recipe reminds of a recipe a dietician gave me several years ago. As I remember, the cookies were pretty good. Someone told me that you can always take out at least half the oil in a recipe and substitute applesauce for it. This is why i LOVE getting applesauce from my apple trees.

Unknown said...

I hear that if you grind flax seed, it needs to be in a coffe bean grinder because it is so oily. Is this true?

Prudence said...

Yes! I actually bought one, and felt like I was being really bad looking in section. I kept looking around to see if any one from church was was watching me!

The Silly Witch said...

How funny, but I have a coffee grinder too. I also grind rice or other grains if I only want a small amount to make into a cereal for Bardo when he was a baby. It works great!